Over to you...Darren James, MD, Screentec

Darren James,  
MD, Screentec
http://www.screentec.co.uk

What’s having the greatest impact on your business at the moment?
Right now, the greatest impact on our business are the massive changes in our sales process. After 17 years of ‘selling’ we're changing our culture and focusing on marketing processes, taking advantage of of internet based solutions such as Google, Facebook and LinkedIn.

Where do you see the greatest wide-format opportunities?
Technological advances in print technology are opening up new opportunities almost every day. Our commitment to investment in these new technologies puts us in a good place to take advantage of such opportunities and two exciting sectors for us at the moment are point-of-sale and the vending industry.

What would make your day-to-day operations easier?
The speed at which our work in progress moves is quite frightening some days, it's not unusual to receive an enquiry before 9am and have the job manufactured and dispatched by 4pm. So I could really use some scheduling software that can keep pace with the real time speed things move here in Screentec.

Your favourite bit of kit is..?
Well, I have been known to change my mind once or twice..... previous favourites include our large-format digital presses, our laser cutter and even a manual bending machine we bought just a few months ago... but at the moment it's got to be the DYSS machine - it will transform our business in a very short space of time.

What’s the best bit of business advice you’ve been given?
Never be complacent - you really are only as good as your last job you deliver

What are you most proud of achieving?
Since we started Screentec over 17 years ago my partner and I recognise that we can only grow if our team shares our values, goals and aspirations. So we've tried to ensure the culture is friendly, co-operative and always to the best of our ability. This seems to work as our staff retention is excellent and I often have people telling me they hear it's a great place to work - quite a compliment I think.

What lesson does the wide-format sector need to learn?
Selling on price is a short-term fix and seldom leads to long term strategic customers. By building relationships, often over long periods of time, Screentec has developed a reputation of trust and our customers know that our prices are fair and reflect the quality and service we provide. We will absolutely not enter into price wars with our competitors.

Upcoming Events

@ImageReports